We noticed some performance issues that I discovered had to do with the gore detection system. The character was covered in components which tell him where he's been shot and feed instructions to the gore effects to specify which ones to use. Using this method, once the character ragdolls, FPS goes down the drain. So to eliminate the problem, we're simply storing the relative positions of these components and getting rid of them entirely. Now, when the hit criteria are met to engage a gore effect, we check our arrays and see which is nearest in proximity to the hits. Not only is this new method very fast, it's also more reliable.
And here a couple of images from some recent work.